Spiritual warfare (part 6): Military boots of readiness
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people’.
Today I want to speak about 'fitting our feet with the readiness of the Gospel of peace'.
In the armor of the Lord, even the shoes or boots we wear matter. The Apostle Paul refers to those boots as the 'readiness that comes with the Gospel of peace'. If we have to wear such boots, it also implies that we should always be ready to propagate the Gospel of Christ. Wearing the 'boots' does not only concern the preachers but it concerns everybody in the Church of Jesus-Christ.
These are the three things to remember about the military boots we should wear as soldiers of Christ:
1. The military boots are the readiness that comes with the Gospel of peace: 'when you wear your Heavenly boots, you will be ready for all types of situations. Many people are constantly surprised by attacks from the enemy or from circumstances because they do not carry their responsibility to spread the Gospel. Whenever you deny or refuse to share the Gospel, you are setting yourself up to be surprised by the enemy. A Christian who wears his/her boots is a person who is ready, always.
2. Preaching the Gospel is for everyone:
Let's be honest: 'we will not all be preaching the Gospel like Billy Graham. However, we all have a duty to share the Gospel and we can do it many ways (either 1 on 1, or on social media, through technology, etc...). You can also share the Gospel indirectly by supporting people and others who do. The support you give to those evangelists can come in the form of donations, support service (e.g: working in their teams),etc...Though you may not be the one sharing the Gospel directly, those evangelists you support will not be able to effectively share the Gospel to multitude without your support. Therefore, even when you support missionaries, preachers, pastors and evangelists, you are partaking in sharing the Gospel.
Serve! Serve! Serve!
3. The military boots are about service to others through sharing the Gospel: ' Considering 'point number 2', we should understand that we wear military boots of readiness as an act of service to others. Among all the parts of the armor, the one part that exclusively refers to service are the military boots of readiness. Therefore, all Christians in the Army must serve and this is not negotiable.
4. The military boots refer to the direction of your life:
The feet are symbol of direction. With our feet, we walk in certain places. So it is with our spiritual feet. Our spiritual feet are a reminder that we move towards certain directions and places. This implies that those who wear their military boots of readiness are always moving in certain directions and various seasons of life. Those who don't wear their boots will not be able to walk barefooted on the battlefield.
5. The Lord commands where you will go:
In any Army of the world, soldiers always obey the commands of their superior. Even in the Army of the Lord, soldiers only go where their superiors want them to go. As a soldier in His Army, you must move where God wants you to go.
In this context, there are two reasons why many have problems:
a) Because they do not want to wear their military boots. As a result, they venture to walk barefoot and hurt their feet.
b) Because they lack a sense of direction submitted to God.
When we wear the military boots of readiness, we also let God decide where we will be in all aspects of our lives for service towards Him and others.
If you want directions, if you want to see new seasons in your life, if you want to remain ready against any surprises, then wear your military boots of service for the Gospel.