Making of God a partner in your business and career

In August 2017, the church I attended in Johannesburg hosted a business seminar that ran for a few hours. The seminar was led by a pastor named Moffat Andanje, whom I see as a business mentor. In few hours, he spoke about methods of creating and running a business with no money or big fancy offices. During those two hours, I had learnt more things that I could have learnt in a MBA program.

If you are in business, I would strongly advise you to get yourself a Christian businessman/businesswoman as a mentor. The same mentor should be an active partner to a ministry or several ministries with his/her finances. I say this because not every Christian business man/woman partners with Jesus in the spread of the Gospel.

Today, I run a small consulting firm because of the great advice I followed during that seminar. A lot of things were said but I will share with you only one of the business secrets that my mentor shared.

Here is the best secret that my business mentor shared:

' Make of God your partner in your business and career. By giving to God 10% of the profits you make in your company, you also make of Him a shareholder in your company (and career). Now, imagine having God seating on the board of your company as a shareholder. How powerful will your company or career be? Since God has an interest as a shareholder, He will also push your company forward.'

Once I heard this secret, I realize where my mentor was sourcing the wealth of his company. It was not the secret that we wanted to hear but it was what we needed to hear. The greatest interest that God has is to see people believe in Jesus through the Good News as John wrote:

'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.' (John 3:16)

When God sent His Son, He also gave His greatest treasure with  the expectancy of a return. The return or profit consisted in seeing 'people being saved'. As Christian entrepreneurs, we have to partner with Him in this vision through our finances.

Think of this: 'God is only asking for 10% and He leaves you with 90%' He is not asking for your entire salary or income as some people think.
However, if you want to give more than 10%, then I encourage you to do so.

It is actually interesting that the Bible requests from us to honor the Lord with our wealth in Proverbs 3:9:

'Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops'

The Bible does not say 'Honor the Lord with your raised hands or good intentions'

Support your local church or a great ministry that evangelizes and builds the body of Christ.

Believe me, it is a great investment for eternity.