FIGHT AGAINST CORONA VIRUS: HONOR THE STATE AUTHORITIES
'Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
During those times of crisis where the world is fighting the Corona virus, we all have to fight the spread of the disease together regardless of our differences. On Earth, the highest and most suitable authority to implement a war strategy against the pandemic are the governing States authorities.
Like many of you, I spent a good time analyzing this unfortunate situation on a scientific, spiritual and political point of views. You see my friend, during pandemic and global crisis, the temptation for many Christians is to see everything through an Apocalyptic lens and to dismiss facts and science. As a result, many churches and Christian leading voices easily fall for conspiracy theories and poorly interpreted prophecies while disregarding all forms of political regulations imposed by the State authorities to curb the pandemic.
Paul in his letter to the Romans was clear about honoring the State authorities: ‘ The one in authority is God’ servant for your good’.
And there is no better time than the times we are living now to justify the Apostle Paul’s opinion on the matter. Whether you are in China, in the US, in South Africa or anywhere in the world, you have to realize that all States authorities are currently working to curb the spread of the Corona virus through regulations founded on facts, science and social projection. Therefore, let us work with them and NOT against them.
And it does not matter if you have different political views or if you don’t like the faces of your leaders…Just honor their authority for your own good and for the good of others.
(Please note that the tone of this post will gradually change. This very post is also used for my email subscription list made of various individuals who hold positions of authority in Churches and also in governments. Due to level of global crisis faced, the tone of this post has to change from ‘green’ to ‘red-fire’ as a necessity to save the lives of many as we can…)
It was given to me by the LORD Jesus-Christ to be a teacher (reference Ephesians 4:11).And throughout the years, the reach of my ministry has extended internationally (thanks to technology) to the point where some of my audio and written contents are being used as Sunday sermons in many parts of the world and especially in Africa. Understanding that the contents I post has direct, decisional impacts on many who follow the works of Jesus-Christ through me to receive Bible instructions, I instruct the following:
• Throughout the world, several (if not all) governmental authorities have implemented measures to curb the corona virus. One of the most common measure is the limit imposed on the number of people attending gatherings. The limit number allowed for gatherings vary from one country to another. And in some countries, gatherings are not allowed at all. If a church leader contravenes State regulations by organizing a gathering surpassing the allowed limit ,whether the limit is 0 (for no gathering) or a specific number, then he/she (the church leader) should be stripped automatically (in a swift manner) of his/her responsibility to lead any gatherings. By contravening States regulations, that leader is endangering the lives of children, elderly women and men who make up the church. By the term ‘leader’, I do not just mean ‘head of ministries’ but I also include elders, deacons, head of departments and so forth…
I know that many long for fellowship but for the time being, we can make use of technology (internet, Watsapp, cellphone, emails, etc…)to exchange communication and to run church programs.
• Now, I understand that many countries have an ‘over-supply’ of democracy that favors an attitude of dishonor against good measures implemented by authorities. And as a result, people with diverging views tend to promote a culture of lawlessness and tend to publicize political disrespect as a ‘cool advanced modern virtue’. This is my message to the authorities:
- You are a servant of God by virtue of exercising governing authority. Certain spiritual leaders and various other people will try to intimidate you by belittling your measures and by making you believe that they can overlook or ignore your measures. But remember that you are also serving God by doing the right thing and you are an agent of wrath against those who refuse to obey towards the measures you implement to curb the corona virus( reference Romans 13:4). Make use of the full force by using the army, the police, the science in order advance social preventive measures. By doing so, you are serving God. I say this because up to this point there are still many governmental leaders who are wondering if they should shut down their countries or make use of force to control social activities. If you are in position of governing authority, be clear in your conscious and make use of the full authority that God gave you. And if you are an ordinary citizen or civilian, then work with the governing State during those times.
During such perilous times, acts of dishonor against the authority of governing States could prove dangerous.
Someone might ask:
‘But Maurice, why are you so strict on this matter?’
Well, here is my response:
1. We are in a generation that has elevated dishonor to a progressive cool virtue. It can be fine to disagree on political matters but the disagreement should be expressed with honor. But in the case of the global pandemic we are facing today, most governments are working to curb the spread of the virus and they need our assistance. Our assistance can only be effective if we honor State authority regulations. This is not about you and your personal political views…but this is about everyone. We need to all act beyond our personal and individualistic views.
The more we dishonor the authorities and their regulations, the more deaths and infections there will be.
2. There are medical evidence proving that people can recover from the virus. In other words, there is good hope.
However, there is a strong mathematical evidence suggesting that many countries can run out of medical staff and supplies if the corona virus infections increase at the current rate. Should such scenario occur, then hospitals will have to select the people to treat... Eventually, this will lead to competition between infected, unattended-infected cadavers and possible civil tensions…
You don’t wanna get there…right?
If you want to contribute towards the curbing of the virus, let us honor the State authority by following their regulations backed by science and social studies. Let us give honor to the State authorities during those times (reference Romans 13:7).
Therefore let us follow the most common rules:
• Do not attend large social gatherings (the number of people allowed may vary from one country to another).
• Wash your hands regularly with soap.
• Go on a societal ‘shutdown mode’ if your government tells you to. Do not waste your time debating that rule. It’s a matter of life and death also involving people other than you. Please think beyond yourself and your personal political views. This is just temporal and a lot of work can be done even from home with just with a laptop and an internet connection.
• If you are sick and if you experience the symptoms of fever, cough, sore throats, tiredness or difficulty breathing or if you suspect you may have been infected, please get tested.
• Should you get tested positive, go on quarantine and get treatments as soon as possible.
We can beat this. Let us all work together.
Finally:' if you have read this message, please share it with at least 5 people (or more) in your network. And also, please share it with anybody who is in governmental position, even if you do not know them personally. Tag them in you comments. Governmental authorities need our encouragement to use full force in order to curb the virus.